There are a number of situations that could lead to your needing to take advantage of the ability to obtain a temporary change of address mail forward. Some common causes of this are taking a job temporarily, or deciding to take an extended vacation. It is important, no matter what your reason to need it is, to known that this service is available to you free of charge.

Go Online for Changing Your Address

The easiest way to go about getting this done is to do it online or visit us online. You simply need to visit the United States Postal Service website and select the option to change your address. You enter your personal information including your current address and the address that you will need to have your mail forwarded to. You will also be given the options of when this service should begin and end. Be sure that you enter all of the information correctly to prevent any potential delays. While the service is absolutely free they will require that you enter a credit card that will be charged for one dollar to prove that it is you requesting the change. This helps to prevent fraud by those looking to steal your identity.

Get Help from USPS

The United States Postal Service, or USPS, advises that doing the change online is the best way to go about the process, but it is not required. You can also visit your local post office to complete the process. When deciding to use this means of changing your address temporarily you should do so a week or more before you need the change to take effect. This ensures that they have enough time to process your request. You will need to provide the same information that you would provide online, so be sure that you have that on hand when you visit your local post office. You should also be prepared to spend more time on the process as there is a chance that you will be standing in line before you get the proper forms from a customer service agent.

Change Of Address Mail Forwarding

Regardless of the means that you decide to use to get a temporary change of address mail forwarding submitted, you want to keep in mind that you should not be charged a fee other than the dollar to prove your identity online. Any company that claims that they can take care of this service for you is likely fraudulent. You should only provide this information directly to the USPS via the internet or in person. Do not put yourself at risk of having your identity stolen or paying fees that are not needed.

You can have your mail forwarded to you for as much as six months at a time. If you need to have this service done for more than six months you will need to file online for an extension. If you will need this for more than a year and know that in advance it is best to simply change your address permanently as this can only be done for a year at most. Visit here for more info !